Doctor of Philosophy Programme
- Programme Overview
- The research programme is designed to prepare nurse scholars to advance the art, science and practice of the discipline. Through research, candidates contribute to the body of knowledge in nursing.
The University offers 3-year and 4-year PhD programmes. Applicants who have a good Bachelor’s degree with honours and/or a taught Master’s degree will be considered for admission to a 4-year PhD programme, whereas those who already hold a research Master’s degree (e.g. MPhil) will only be considered for admission to a 3-year PhD programme.
PhD programmes are offered in full-time and part-time modes and the periods of study are as follows:
|Degree||Normative Study Period||Probationary Period|
|3-year PhD||Full-time||36 months||12 months|
|Part-time||54 months||18 months|
|4-year PhD||Full-time||48 months||18 months|
|Part-time||72 months||24 months|
Please refer to the Graduate School for details of the PhD programme.
To be eligible for the award of the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), a candidate shall:
- satisfactorily complete coursework, where prescribed;
- present a successful thesis representing the result of the candidate's research which should be an original contribution to knowledge and worthy of publication; and
- satisfy the examiners in an oral examination (and any other examination if required) in matters relevant to the subject of the thesis.
1. comply with the General Regulations;
2. hold a Bachelor's degree with honours and a research Master's degree or another
qualification of equivalent standard from this University or from another university or
comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
3. hold any additional qualifications as may be required by the Faculty concerned, and
4. satisfy the examiners in a qualifying examination if required.
- Hong Kong PhD Fellowships
- University Postgraduate Fellowships (UPF)
- Postgraduate Scholarship (PGS)
- Scholarships and Conference / Travel Support
Please refer to the Graduate School for the details.
School of Nursing
4/F, William WM Mong Block
Tel: 3917 6605
*This information has been translated into Chinese. If there is any inconsistency or ambiguity between the English version and the Chinese version, the English version shall prevail.